Saturday, October 24, 2009

Dark Adventure Comics Archive 2


One of the most remarkable aspects of my career has been having the opportunity to meet and befriend many personalities for which I have great respect.  The photo above shows (from left to right) Ray's grand-daughter, Ray Bradbury, the late Julius Schwartz and myself.  Ray is a world famous author of too many classic novels to mention and is an established icon.  Julie was the editor for DC Comics for decades and was primarily responsible for bringing in the second great wave of Super-Hero comics and creating the Silver Age.

     This is one of the few people I have been absolutely honored to know. The late Will Eisner (pictured in the middle) was one of the pioneers of comics.  His production companies and work in the 1930s and '40s are the stuff of legend.  Creator of The Spirit and also of the very graphic novel format, his book, "Graphic Storytelling" is the Bible of the field.  I knew Will for almost two decades and he was still active in the business up until his death.  Pictured on the left in the background is Kitchen Sink publisher, Dennis Kitchen, another formidable force in comics.

I first met Chris Reeve in 1992 and was surprised he sought me out for advice on what to do about his panel and interview sessions as he was unprepared and very nervous.  I did a bit of a Lifespring LP coach grounding with him and he was a gigantic hit and very grateful.  The photo shown was taken later that day by my good friend US Representative of GA, Brooks Coleman.
     The AC in the conference had died and it was literally 100 degrees and we kept finding ourselves in the service corridors sharing cold Cokes and talking.  That began a irregular correspondence we maintained up until his paralysis from a horseback riding injury.  After my own accident where I sustained an inoperable shattered spine and nerve damage, the thoughts of his indomitable spirit helped me recuperate and continue to inspire me to this day.  Chris was quite simply one of the best souls I have ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment