Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tribal Drums

     Experiments with drum beats led me down a percussion path in my writing.  I was searching for syllabic percussive rhythm for wordplay against differing drum sounds.  It was not as drug-induced as it seems and I produced a small body of work with differing results.

     This is one such piece based on a Native American ritualistic drum riff and chant:


A QUE OF VELDT UNDERHEAD

This languid she
approaches
     with eyes exploding emotion
          and her hips swish
               feline heat with
          her gaze signing
     my being
(tattooing
my seed).

     "To what craft
          her artful talents
               other than dress
          and eyes
     be braided?"

I want her naked.

She bares primal love
     in the wilderness
          and we become Cherokee
               trading beats
          and piercing
     our treaty.

Swain
like colored wind at night-
     I am her blanket
          and she is my ground-
               splayed within the down
          of our one
     tribal
sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment