Thursday, October 22, 2009

Vicissitudes

One of the first major undertakings I worked on was a retelling of the Arthurian legends as a poetical play.  This piece is Lancelot's first private meeting with Guinevere.  One can tell how early on in my progression this was written but it is representative of my influences at the time.


VICISSITUDES

Several bearings of compassion
reside in thy glance,
thy dance of laughter in sight-
     of sincerity, thy colors weal;
     of desire, thy whites brash wide;
     of tenderness, thy lashes curl
          in supplication to the eyes.
It compels one to see.
I gaze onward and cradle its levity-
its flirtatious, controlled abandon
     scurrying free and ending
          shy of speech.
I pray it is for me-
this manner of apparent honesty
bringing a rising, strange tenacity.
     I stand aware of this air
     and change not a thing, but ask:
          Dare you speak?
          Dare you lengthen these moments of thy life?
          Dare you ensure I know of thee?
     Will enraptured I may in seconds be?
Tell me slowly and engage not in lies.
Tell me softly-
whisper these words so I may hear this sight-
     or soften unto mine thy lips
     and let all these visons twine
          in this time
that is thine, 'O Queen,
'O raconteur.
'O Guinevere.


No comments:

Post a Comment