Thursday, October 22, 2009

Tremens of War

One of my older brothers served as a Marine in Vietnam in 1966-67 and was involved in some of the worst engagements of those campaigns.  The following piece reflects on my experience of him and also of my own conflicted thoughts.


FOXHOLE

Statuary in silence.

Transposed in my bones
frosty snacks of death
nerves digest
sitting swollen in
Non-movement.

All good pushed
and better gone.
Feces of Hubris about.
Fragments.

Understandable
pale shock
of cold insides sweating...
steady...
resisting the lure
of the killing place-
the foxholes of my heart
where cares go
so body survives.

Artillery,
then quiet...
brooding, moody
melancholy...
strange malaise in disbelief
of this solitude, still..

Waiting, watching,
wishing-
hoping.
Statues of the still living
shoot morbid ignorance
of the dead.
War is a drug.

Advance, withdraw
or die.

Statuary in silence.

Shakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment