Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Short Bio, Part 1

Throughout my early years I was a voracious reader and had a fascination with Leonardo DaVinci. I taught myself how to draw using his observational techniques and viewed art as my future in creative efforts. During high school it was pointed out to me by a teacher that my strong suit was in writing and how I needed to develop that talent. Expressive writing had always came naturally to me whereas artwork was a real endeavor and a passion.

After graduation I discovered that what I held as true art was not a paying job that existed in the art field. I had a distaste for commercial artwork and soon found myself exploring the writing world as it seemed limitless in scope. I ran a cleaning business for five years and began a discipline of writing a minimum of four to six hours a day, finding a real love in life and the observation of it ran through my emotional filters on the page.

I began sending out poems and short stories and soon had a notable rejection pile. My first published work was a poem in a small anthology for no pay. I eventually moved on to multiple publications and even a small award but had no real financial rewards. I hired an agent and managed to get a book contract based on my experimental writings and then began a process of believing all the smoke blown up my ass.

I became a real problem. I had rewritten a novel, "Sine Qua Non," three times. It dealt with an organic computer programmed with religious principles that would necesitate actions by the computer to achieve the final goal of becoming Man. It was a layered trip of a book and had complex computer science as a subtext, which in the early '80s was changing daily. After three rewrites to catch up with the technology so the science in the fiction was real, I would not allow the editor to edit my "priceless gem" any further. In addition, several of my story and book ideas and musical pitches that had made the rounds were plaigarized and became a difficult issue on the legal front.

As a consequence, my contract got shuffled around and then fell off the earth and I realized I was the rare writer who got paid for nothing being published while much was getting ripped off. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to work with many amazing people and muscians in that time. Unfortunately, I had developed a reactionary reputation with editors and executives of that era and I was dead in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment